Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Sometimes I feel like I have done wrong

Sometimes I feel like I have done my children a dis-service by raising them to believe that people are to respect each other, have empathy for each other, and behave properly toward each other. Because then they go to school.

There they meet the real world. They discover that people will hurt you for no reason. They would rather shove you out of the way than wait their turn when the goal is desirable. They will speak out of turn and put you down to make themselves feel better.

None of this is news.

My home is a safe haven. On the bus the kid that sits next to my nine-year-old calls him a "Mother Fucker" and another little girl tells him "suck my dick." We don't know who these children are so we can't complain. When I complain to the bus driver, my son tells me that he announces to all the children on the bus the next day that they should not mention what happens on the bus because it gets him in trouble. I tell my son the man is a bully and kids should never trust adults that tell them to keep secrets from their parents. He begs me not to complain again.

I have a dream that if I raise young men that know how to treat other people, I will contribute some decency to the world. I just don't know how to protect them from the fact that the world does not live up to the goals that we aim for. How do I give them armor, but make sure they remain open and peaceable?

No comments: